Isabella Hill’s Outdoor Educational Adventure

Fishing Regulations & Ethics

Fishing Regulations & Ethics

In my final inquiry project I will go over the importance of keeping updated on your local regulations, ethical considerations, and finally how to clean and prepare a fish for consumption. Thanks for following this project, make sure to keep updated as fishing videos will be uploaded during this ice fishing season!

Provincial Regulations:Regulations are essential rules that every fisherman lives by! To be and ethical and proper fisherman it is thoroughly beneficial to keep updated on your local regulations, this is important because the regulations are always changing online. Many catch limits and size restrictions will change yearly, therefore, every time you plan on going fishing check your provincial regs to ensure you are fishing legally. 

Below will be a link to our provincial regulations of British Columbia.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/sports-recreation-arts-and-culture/outdoor-recreation/fishing-and-hunting/freshwater-fishing/fishing_synopsis.pdf

Now that you are ready to fish and have almost learned it all, let's talk about how to be and ethical fisherman. Always talk into account whether you plan on catching fish to catch them, or whether you plan on eating them. If you plan on catching fish to eat keep an amount you plan on eating either that night or week. If you plan on smoking the fish or canning them that is a great way to store them. In my personal opinion if you plan on eating fish and putting the fish in the freezer good luck. Many fisherman do the same thing and keep the fish that eventually gets thrown out, therefore, make sure if you keep your limit eat it soon do not freeze it unless guaranteed to eat it. As stated by the government of British Columbia "Let them go, let them grow," and practice "catch and release" when appropriate or required”. Finally, respect the fish and treat them humanely, they are another organism that shares the earth with us. We all share this earth, and it is important we keep an important source of food for our ecosystems protected and respected. 

If you are concerned with if you are being ethical take a look at British Columbia’s “Ethics for Anglers” this is an amazing resource and a great read. 

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/sports-recreation-arts-and-culture/outdoor-recreation/fishing-and-hunting/freshwater-fishing/ethics_for_anglers.pdf

Down below you can find a great video on how to gut a fish. This is how I was taught as a kid to gut a fish, it is a quick and effective way to have a clean gutted fish that is ready to be cooked!
Now that you have your gutted fish here is an amazing recipe for all fish, keep in mind that if you enjoy specific flavours incorporate those into your recipe or search good recipes that incorporate that spice!
Here is a video that shows why conservation can be important, watching nature in its pure form bringing pure happiness. I took this video while fishing, it shows Kokanee on their way to spawn. 
I hope that along this journey you have found a great love for the outdoors and fishing as I have! By learning to love your surrounding aquatic ecosystems you too will become a conservationist at heart. Thank you for coming along this journey with me, I wish you the best of luck on your fishing adventures!

Till next time buddies – Love your favourite fisherman